Places Of Interest: Jawalamukhi, Kangra Fort,
Best Time To Visit: Mid-May To Mid-October.
known as an important seat of administration, Kangra the capital city of
Chand dynasty tells a story of glory, which has faded into history. One
of the most picturesque valley of lower Himalayas, the valley, sheltered
by the sublime Dhauladhar hills, is green and luxuriant.
The temple of
Brajeshwari Devi is very famous in the area. It is believed that in the
bygone era this temple was very rich and each time it was plundered it
was always able to restore itself. The valley also comprises of the
famous Kangra fort, which was taken over by the British in 1846 on
clause of a treaty. In 1905 an earthquake destroyed both the temple and
the fort, but the temple was rebuilt.
The town was
attacked by Mohammed Ghaznavi and conquered by Emperor Feroz Tuglak and
Maharaja Rant Singh. Prior to this episode, Kangra was the capital of
the great Hill State, its renowned ruler being Maharaja Sansar Chand
Katoch, a great patron of arts. It was during his reign that the
Miniature and Rajpur Schools of hill paintings flourished. Close to
Kangra is Nagarkot a beautiful area with the fort perched on top of a
ridge overlooking the confluence of Manjhi and Baner rivers. Kangra
valley provides a tremendous contrast in nature of places to be visited.
Dharamshala is full of Buddhist air whereas ancient Hindu Temples such
as Brajeshwari , Baijnath, Jawalamukhi and Chamunda Devi dot the
Devi Temple (Bajeshwari Devi Temple): Known once for its legendary
wealth of diamonds and pearls, this temple was subject to successive
depredation by invaders from the North. Mohammed of Ghazni is known to
have departed with a king's ransom in gold, silver and jewels in 1009.
Earthquake of 1905 destroyed it completely. Rebuilt in the present form
in 1920, it continues to be a busy place of pilgrimage.
from Kangra, 56-km from Dharamsala, near the Beas river and on the side
of cliff, is one of Hindu dome most famous shrines. Built against the
side of a rocky spur, the temple is dedicated to the manifestation of
the Devi of fire also called the "Flaming Goddess". A blue
flame fed by natural gas, shoots out of the rock in the sanctum in which
the goddess, Jawalamukhi, manifests herself.
Kangra Fort: The
remains of the fort of the Kotch Raja's of Kangra are located on a
strategic height, overlooking the Ban Ganga and Manjhi rivers. At the
top of the fort there was also a place of the Kotch kings. The
earthquake of 1905 in Kangra destroyed both the palace and the fort. It
is now in its ruins.
is a pretty town situated on the left bank of river Beas and is 13-km
from Jawalamukhi. It was the favourite residence of Raja Sansar Chand
who built himself a palace at Amtar on the riverbank 2-km from the town.
This historic town, which was once the capital of the Kotch rulers,
derives its name from demon Nandan.
Just 30-km away from Nadaun, situated on the banks of the foaming
Beas, the historical town Sujanpur Tira was built by Raja Sansar Chand,
who had ascended to the throne when he was only ten years old. The
palace was the winter residence of Sansar Chand and the Alampur palace
on the other side of the river Beas was his summer resort.